Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The School feels like it has a soul

Another beautiful day in Nairobi and off to pick a few things at the market and then to school. Every time I walk into the place, it feels like more that just a school that students come to learn, it feels like a place filled with soul. The movement of the students, the voices, the feelings, the impacts, the learning and the development. It feels like it has a soul to me.

Today was suppose to be more of a lecture day with our primary topic being Frank Lloyd Wright. The projector for the laptop was not available so we went into painting instead. My first class is forms 4 and they are skillful painters and have really perfected the narrative of the Kibera slum and the Kenyan experience and some of the many scenes that we have educated them on. Today after realizing that they have achieved a high level of skill level at this point in their ability to paint these scenes, it made me realize that they are just continuing to do the same things, just better. After an hour, I spoke to them about how well they have done, how much they have learned and how similar it all looks. All good things, then I employed them to consider breaking out of their box, feeling uneasy while they paint, doing something that is not representative of what they have perfected but to break out. I also made them aware that they are smart beautiful and important and that comes with responsibilities to be more than just what they had already achieved. There was not a bit of love for me after that speech. I could tell that they were really not wanting to hear that I wanted them to be different. So I gave them another hour in class and said, "knock yourselves out" see you in an hour and with the many other classrooms available took my forms 2 class to another room for history and their drawing lessons. They are always quiet, amenable and attentive and are very good at drawing. It was a good class. When I returned to forms 4, it was like they had had a breakthrough. It was phenomenal. There were Rothko's and Pollacks and all these unique and FREE styles and they all seemed unconstrained. I asked them what they are feeling, and they all said it felt freeing. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. Art makes a difference in people's lives and it makes a difference in theirs and ours. The proof is in this art, their attitudes and their perspectives. I could hardly believe my eyes and when Margaret walked in, she looked at me and said, they had a breakthrough. This is what faculty must feel like when they have made a difference. Every time I have these moments, the first person that comes to mind is Professor Tony Arend. A dear friend, neighbor and colleague. He helps students have breakthroughs all the time. I can tell. He makes me have a breakthrough when we have intense conversations. Thank you for inspiring me Tony.....

Margaret's classes are doing well and they are working diligently and are working in wonderful colors and particularly Siasi Wycliffe. And why shouldn't he be using great colors with a rock star artist name like Saisi Wycliffe. Who does not want a name like that! I do...... The Form 1 class she has is great at really being focused unlike her first form 1 in 2008 and the form 3 class is motivated and maturing. They really love Margaret's demeanor and really look up to her. She is definitely a model teacher and is focused and direct and open and they all clammer for her attention.

After class we met up with our friend Anne Wangari and Sarah, Jamie and Consuelo form the Georgetown Masters in Conflict Resolution program for a nice dinner at Talisman. It was wonderful and the women may join Anne in Dadaab for a women's conference in July. This was a good connection. It helps to be related to the Kenyan Anne Wangari. She is so wonderful and a world of help.

We have 2 more days of art class left and one day of celebration and then we leave Nairobi on Saturday. I cannot believe it has moved so fast. It feels great to be here and I am inspired every day by the students and the amazing Kenyan people that we have connected with.

Assante Sana (thank you very much) for joining us on this Journey.

Charles and Margaret

1 comment:

  1. First,I am really glad you had the chance to visit Nyumbani Village. I am eager to learn more about that experiment in maintaining familial care for AIDs orphans while not leaving grandparents on their own to raise their grandchildren.

    Second, I hope you are planning to bring home with you either samples or photos of the artwork from Form IV, before and after Charles's challenge.

    ReplyDelete