Monday, June 14, 2010

We leave in less than 48 hours.....

Dear Friends and Family,

We leave in less than 48hours for our third year teaching Art in Kibera at St. Al's in the Kibera Slum of Nairobi. We are excited to be going soon and this year, as each other year, all seems to fall in to place just as it has in the past. Flawlessly!

For some reason, this year feels particularly special. I am in the belief system of "ask and you shall receive". This year, we have more money than we have had in the past 2 years, the curriculum seems to have fallen in to place as always under the great direction of Margaret and unique giving has occurred. So, about 8 months ago, I met the Count Von Faber-Castell, who is the CEO of the venerable Faber-Castell company out of Germany. Almost all #2 pencils used in school, especially for those of us who are more mature, we have used their products and those of us that are artist definitely know Faber-Castell as some of the finest Art Supplies available. Well, when I met Toni (The Count) he said if there was anything I needed for the program to let him know. Well, I remembered his statement, emailed him a week and half ago and asked for charcoal pencils. He contacted me to say his office in Germany wanted me to provide them with a list. At this point, I contacted Margaret, she formulated a list and I blindly sent it on. Then Margaret asked me, "what from the list did you ask for?", I gulped and said, " I thought you wanted all of it". She thought I would select a few things. The assistant to Toni, emailed me and said that she hoped I would received the supplies before we left. We received them today. Some of the finest and most beautiful supplies available. Our great students are really going to enjoy these nice supplies, I cannot wait.

Recently I was in a residency program at Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater home. It was exciting and have befriended the Vice President and Curator, Lynda and Justin. They had lunch with me today and they know of my trip. I shared with them that Margaret has placed Frank Lloyd Wright in the 3rd year curriculum and they are sending art post cards and power points to share with the students.

The amazing support of the people that give to these smart, beautiful and important students is very overwhelming to me. I cannot begin to express my gratitude for how wonderful it is to have the support of so many for work that Margaret and I so love. It is an honor for us to deliver art education to such wonderful, beautiful and hopeful people as our students of St. Als and the kids of the Red Rose School.

The next time you will get a post from us, we will be in Kenya, on the ground preparing to start class in the new school. We are going to be teaching in a new school, can you believe it. I am so excited and a little sad. I love walking through Kibera to our old school seeing all the familiar faces of the residence of the area that we teach. I will want to go visit them and say hello. I am also so excited that the students have wonderful accommodations to be taught in. They deserve this and so much more.

With Gratitude for all your love and support as we begin the third year of our journey.

Charles and Margaret



2 comments:

  1. Wishing you a safe and wonderful trip in Kenya. I get to Nairobi June 30th, so we may miss each other. Enjoy the new school and pass my best wishes to the students. Good work! Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Charles Be Well...Charlene

    ReplyDelete