Saturday, June 19, 2010

So great to be back.....

Hello Friends and Family,

It has been so great to be back to a place both Margaret and I feel owns a piece of our hearts. As far as travel was concerned, fairly uneventful... The one thing I did realize, from sitting directly behind Margaret, that when she does not sleep well, she moves about a great deal. Just an observation not a complaint. On the second leg from Amsterdam to Kenya, we sat next to each other and economy KLM was just great and as promised, Margaret did not fall asleep on me and drool on me. It happens by people I do not even know on airplanes so it really would not have been a problem. We are definitely partners in the best sense on this trip.

Well, we arrived in Kenya and as always, Margaret was ultra prepared and had her visa from the Kenyan Embassy in DC and I of course, did not. In December when I came and realized how easy it was to get one on the spot, that piece of planning went right out of my head. Why go get 2 pictures, a money order, fill out a form, wait in line, and have to return in 8 days to pick it up when you can show up with $25 USD, smile for their camera after 16 hours on a plane, and wait a little longer than you do if you already have Visa. If this is not perfect clarity why it takes all types to get things done, I don't know what is. This should be one of those examples. As it relates to this Art in Kibera program, Margaret is the Ying to my Yang. We are a perfect compliment. I am expounding on this as I continue to see this program grow, succeed and serve and it is because the different things that we own in making this happen and our different approaches. Thanks for all types and I definitely see this in both Margaret and I, so here is to you Margaret.

As protocol has been developed, we were met by our dear friend and president of our transportation, Franco Sego. He was graciously and happily waiting for us. All I can say is that when I see Franco when I come out of the terminal, all is good in the world. He has a happy demeanor and feels like a stalwart representative of Kenya to us.

Carefully we were delivered to Pedro Arrupe Jesuit Home where we stay amongst the beautiful Jesuits, the Ngong Hills, the lovely grounds and the most amazing people. We also are surrounded by nature, and what I mean when I say that is that all the dogs are serenading us all at this very moment. You should hear them. They are howling like they are a chorus and it is something you come to expect each night. It is great. There are three beautiful tan dogs on the grounds that are pet like and then there are the guard dogs that are behind a gate and so you get very used to walking every where with these three dogs or hearing the guard dogs at night when they feel compromised.

Friday was great as we were up and off to breakfast and to see the Georgetown 2010 Kenyan Immersion Group that are staying on the same property at the Mwamgaza Retreat Center. We went up to see them after we had breakfast. It was really great. We were invited to lunch with the group to meet and talk with Stanley Gazemba, whom is a Kenyan writer recently recognized on NPR. He is just great and has written many book and one will be coming out soon in a republished format. It was intriguing. We had to do our do diligence and go to the Nakumatt which is only the greatest store on earth. I dare put it down by saying it is the Walmart of Kenya, but I am sure I am not too far off. We bought all the requisite things you need, water, wine, new cameras (Margaret's died) and then off Pedro Arrupe for dinner and took part in the nightly reflection with the 2010 immersion group. It was great to be included and they are a great group. After having visited here in this format originally, it is interesting to see the dynamics of another group. They are a wonderful set of people, most of which I know from Georgetown and a few that I did not. One of the participants made the evening for us when she said, "it is nice to have you here and important that you take part". Feeling welcome is always nice but especially nice by the community you are part of.

Today, Saturday-June 19, has been a nice and interesting day. Margaret who was sick in 2007 when we went to see the Kweto Home for Boys missed this day and so she joined the 2010 group. The Kweto home is where boys go that have been invited off the streets who have left Kibera and other slums who might be engaging in drugs and glue sniffing and are offered a place to come for a period of time to get it back together. It was one of the hardest elements of the trip in 2007 and Margaret experienced it today. The boys just want loving and it is so clear. I am glad that Margaret got to experience this.

My mid morning was spent in a more superficial non-Kenyan centric format. Trying to acquire a suit by having a tailor make one. Franco knows everyone and has a cousin who is a tailor. As I return from this trip, I will attend the Caine Prize for African Writing at Oxford on July 5 and did not bring a suit. Details, Details (details Margaret would have remembered!). Franco took me to a tailor and after that joined the 2010 group for lunch as we fetched Margaret. We also were able to see Sarah and Jamie, graduate students in Conflict Resolution from the Georgetown Government Department. It was great to see them here and they will be here for 7 weeks. They are interning and making connections and I think that this is just great. Jamie worked with me on GAIN (Georgetown African Interest Network) which is a collaboration program of all Gtown entities, people and departments, that have some African centric work both professionally and personally from our community. I am the Co-Convener of this program with Scott Taylor, Professor in African Studies. It was great to see these two Hoyas as we are here and I am sure we will see them often.

After this, off to purchase art supplies at the Text Book Centre which is where all schools buy supplies. This was the third year of buying supplies here. Today was a special day and has fallen under the caption of "ask and thou shalt receive". It never dawned on me to ask for a teaching discount and without questions they gave us a nice discount. One of the heads of the store come over and said, "of course" and we went off with a great feeling of gratitude.

Then the conquest continued and I found a beautiful suit at Sir Henry's Menswear, the oldest clothier for men in East Africa. A beautiful 140 Super count wool Italian suit, with 3 shirts and 3 ties, $217 USD. I was in shock, it fit very well and was meant to be. I am prepared for Oxford and am no longer worried as I was this AM. Time flies by while you are here and I envisioned myself getting to London with limited time to get clothing for this event. Margaret and I had tea at Nairobi Java and meandered around, came home and rested and had dinner with the group. It is great to be staying at the same place that we originally were introduced to Kenya, and have stayed here 3 of the 4 times we have been here and feel part of a community. It is great to have 14 other people from your community here and it is great to believe that you have a place in the world that wants you as much as you want it.

Margaret and I are unprepared for what tomorrow shall bring. It is the grand opening of the new school. Those of you that have followed us in the past or know of this experience realize that we taught in a shanti style school, corrugated roofs, dirt floors, minimal to no electricity and the most amazing students ever. With all the "third world charm" associated with the physical school, it was also a place we loved. The new school is one that we have heard is nothing less than amazing and that people in the states would love to be taught in. This is so great for the students, they so deserve it and there are so many that have taken part to make this happen. I am sure that we will be overwhelmed with emotion and cannot wait to take part in this celebration. So many have made this happen and I would like to say that three people immediately come to mind as key contributors to this schools creations, Martha and Dave Swanson for all that you do and Phil Boroughs, SJ who always has been focused on getting this school built. Hats off, Hats off to these and all the people that have contributed to the well being and development of this school. The grand opening of this school coincides with the feast of St. Aloysius of Gonzaga which is the name "saint" of this school.

I will share fully with you all the experience we have tomorrow. We start school on Monday, the third year of Art in Kibera and I cannot wait. These students are Smart, Beautiful and Important in every way. The connection with them is worth all the money in the world.

Thanks for being here with us.

Be well,

Charles and Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment