Sunday, June 20, 2010

The New School



It was amazing, I am speechless. The day was over the top as we arrived at the school at 10am, I knew exactly where we were going and when we turned the corner, I though to myself, hmmm, they must have built a three story apartment building near the new school. I remembered a 2 story plan for the new school, not a 3. We parked and still had in my mind that we were not there yet. I walked in and was speechless, absolutely speechless. I could not believe it. The students where so proud of their school, I was so proud of their school, the moments were joyous and the celebration full hearted.

I walked in and three of my art students came running up to Margaret and I. You are here and you must see that we have an art room. Charles and Margaret, we have an art room. I was so wrapped up in everything that was going on, I just walked about and hugged our art students, shook hands of new students I had not met, met guardian, parents, Jesuits both local and from afar, benefactors from Wisconsin and Chicago, Friends of St. Als and all. I was in awe. When we walked into the art room at separate times, Hellen, one of the forms 4 students just screamed our names and hugged us and said, "you are here, you are here". This happened time and again through out this celebration day. I am in awe. This is the first time I have had space to myself to process what has occurred and it has finally hit me. As I write this email, there are tears streaming down my face. This school has the most amazing resources that one could imagine and I do not have to add "amazing for Africa" to this. It is amazing. Any american students would be proud to be educated in this beautiful school. They have a real and fully resources school. The labs are beautiful. Shockingly.

The layout is welcoming, the feeling is warm and the heart is present. There is a chapel in the middle of the school and it beats large as the center of this institution. I am in shock.

The celebration mass of St. Aloysius Gonzaga was beautiful and in true Kenyan form, long. Many speeches, I think 11 baptisms, many recognitions, it was flawless. Georgetown University was recognized for its contribution to the school and they mentioned Phil Boroughs, Martha and Dave Swanson, and humbly thanked Margaret and I and asked all the Georgetown visitors to come up, in front of nearly 700 people. I was stunned. I was stunned for a few reasons, I think Margaret and I learn as much if not more from delivering the Art in Kibera program then the students. I feel that just in this program the reciprocity is overwhelming, then to have the founder of the school recognize us and have an art room, it is overwhelming to me.

The irony is that for me today was really about Phil and he actually feel ill with a dramatic scratch to his eye that prevented him from attending the celebration. He is on the mend and was able to go to the dinner tonight. The irony is that he introduced the school to all of us, and even though our Kenyan Immersion 2007 was not about St. Al's for Margaret or I, it became the place we wanted to impact and this is all because of Phil. He also was a key fundraiser for the school. So the irony was that he was not there but in every introductory opportunity, he was mentioned when thanking the honored guests.

My son David Dinda was there today and I was so excited to see him. We will spend a fair amount of time with him during the coming weeks and I am so proud of him. He has created the Foundation of Hope and they are doing great things in the Kibera slum to help others, more to come in this in a future blog. His foundation took over the space the old school we used to teach so the old space will not be gone to us, just repurposed with a new soul.

We spent the afternoon lunching with the Kenyan Immersion Group 2010 and then to dinner at Osteria for a celebration dinner of the school with what seemed like 100+ people. It was also great to see Dave and Martha Swanson again and realize that our worlds expand way past the Georgetown Community and in fact that community is world wide.

Tomorrow is our first day of classes and Margaret and I have never been more inspired. The theme we walked away with is that our students are prospering....They are amazing. They were selling there art today and they were just beyond excited about what they are going to do in art club. We are part of this institution and we are honored.

This post includes pictures for the first time ever....woo hoo--I have the power! These are 2 very superficial shots of the school with one of the Georgetown 2010 group with Margaret and I.

Much Love and be well,

Charles and Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment